Life-Changing Consequences of Tobacco Use
You Should Consider & Act on These Facts
- Lung cancer is the second leading cause of death in the United States
- Although breast and prostate cancer are more common, the number one cause of cancer death in America is lung cancer.
- Lung cancer has increased 451% in the past 30 years, and it has been predicted that this number will rise in the years to come.
- The increased number of lung cancer incidences have be related to tobacco use
- Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death
- 75% of teen smokers become adult smokers
- Approximately 1,300 people die each day from smoking
- 87% of first time smoking occurs by the age of 18
- Smoking causes more deaths each year than all of these combined:
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV),Illegal drug use, Alcohol use, Motor vehicle injuries, and Firearm-related incidents
- Cigarette smoking causes more than 480,000 deaths each year in the United States (1 in 5 deaths)
- Smoking causes cancer, heart disease, stroke, lung diseases, diabetes, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and other respiratory diseases such as; emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
- Smoking affects your teeth and gums and can cause your teeth to fall out or rot.
- Smokers die on average 10 years earlier than non-smokers
- Educating on the prevention of regular smoking in teenagers appears to be the most effective way to reduce the overall incidence of cigarette smoking.
- Studies have shown that young smoking stunts the lungs' development and increases the risk of breathing problems. Also, has shown that smoking in the teen years is more addictive and the habit is harder to break than starting as an adult.
- More than 3,200 people younger than 18 years of age smoke their first cigarette every day.
- Approximately 2,100 youth and young adults who have been occasional smokers become daily cigarette smokers.
- Cigarette smoking is the number 1 risk of lung cancer
- Tobacco smoke is made up of more than 7,000 chemicals. Many are poisons and at least 70 are known to cause cancer in people or animals